Who we are
We are champions of performance, accessibility, progressive enhancement and progressive web apps. We strive to get new technology running in production as soon as possible — all the while making sure it works on all devices and in every browser. We take a modular approach to development, be it in a ‘living style guide’, or directly in an existing code base. We make sure our code scales, is robust, maintainable and transferable.
Not an easy task. That’s why we are looking for a front-end tech lead who can help us deliver this kind of quality.
Our team consists of 20 front-end developers, including 3 senior front-enders who fulfill the role of tech lead in most projects. Our projects are for large clients like Funda, De Persgroep, eBay, ABN AMRO and smaller clients like Bionieuws, WeCity, DMC and Delft Hyperloop. Usually we work at our clients’ offices. On Fridays the whole team works from our own office in Amsterdam. We use those days to work on projects, experiment, do workshops and expand our knowledge via our Voorhoede Academy and code talks. We close up shop at the end of the week with drinks and some bad taste in music.
As a tech lead you employ your technical know-how and experience to bring a project to greater heights. You are involved from the initial introduction up to final delivery. During the preparatory phase, you work closely together with our project managers. You assess the technical feasibility of client needs and provide technical input for project proposals.
You decide on the best suitable development stack. While doing so, you keep project limitations in mind and you pick the tools and frameworks (if any!). You consider things like testing, code reviews and deployment. You communicate APIs and other touch points with back-end developers. After you set up the front-end architecture you make sure the whole team can work efficiently and pleasurably.
During projects you advise the client and your team about technical solutions that fit the project duration and budget. You don’t shy away from discussions and know how to navigate a complex organisation with all its sensitivities. In some projects you assume the role of Scrum Master. You’ll write code and develop new features. You coach colleagues and challenge and build on each other’s ideas and solutions. You do code reviews.
As a tech lead, you can’t really be summed up by a list of skills, but these points matter nonetheless:
- You are pragmatic
- You keep a good view on progress, and can prioritise core issues over nice-to-haves
- You are comfortable speaking and presenting for a large group
- You keep up with developments in front-end technology (eg. AMP, new frameworks, hybrid and progressive web apps) and have an opinion about them
- You can help others faced with technical issues and malfunctioning tools, even if you don’t know the project
- Experienced with one or more back-end languages (Python, PHP, Java, ...)
- Experience in a DevOps-like role would be an asset
- Experience as a Scrum Master would be an asset
- A challenging and versatile job as a front-end tech lead for well-known client companies
- Colleagues who take their trade seriously and enjoy their work
- A place to develop your skills: not just by learning on the job, but also by having a study budget an paid time off to visit conferences
- Organic lunch, chair massage, table football and team outings
- 25 days off per year, based on a 40-hour work week, and the option to purchase more days
- A comfortable work environment, your own MacBook Pro and travel expenses paid for